Accident Insurance Questions

At Morris, Downing & Sherred, accident victims come to us with questions. Our lawyers serve as not only dedicated advocates, but also vital sources of information. Information is power when our clients are feeling powerless in dealing with mounting medical bills. Common questions include:

Do I Need An Attorney?

In the moments following a collision with a car or truck, you need medical attention. Equally important is representation from an experienced personal injury attorney. Insurance companies are not on your side. Adjusters are not as concerned about your recovery as they are discouraging you from retaining legal counsel. They say they have your best interests in mind. In reality, they want to minimize what they have to pay in a claim.

At Morris, Downing & Sherred, your attorney will speak to insurance adjusters on your behalf while you focus on recovery. We will pursue a claim that maximizes, not minimizes the compensation you deserve for current and future medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.

Who Pays For My Medical Bills When An Accident Caused By Someone Else?

One of the first issues that arise can also be the most stressful. From the moment that a collision occurs, significant medical expenses become a part of an accident victim's life. According to the state's no-fault law, your insurance carrier is responsible for your medical bills, regardless of fault.

Keeping track of your bills is vital. Based on your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage — specifically the deductible and co-pay — you still may owe money, only adding to the stress of your situation. Part of our legal counsel involves working with medical professionals to request a lien on settlements or judgments without them turning the bills over for collection.

What If The Other Driver Doesn't Have Insurance?

While New Jersey mandates that all drivers have car insurance, many choose to forego coverage. Being in an accident with an uninsured driver only adds stress to an already stressful situation. However, options exist in the form of uninsured motorist coverage as part of your auto insurance policy. On your behalf, we can pursue a claim against your insurer by proving that an uninsured driver caused significant injuries.

What If I Miss Work?

The injuries you suffered in an accident may prevent you from working for a period of time or prevent you from the earnings you made before the accident occurred. On your behalf, we will pursue a lost wages claim through the at-fault driver's insurance company or your personal injury protection (PIP) coverage.

A copy of the police report and letters from your physician or employer are important to document in the filing of a lost wages claim. The amount you are entitled to is based on your pay rate or commission and the time lost because of the injury. Adjustments can be made if the accident caused you to miss a job interview or opportunity for a promotion.

Contact Our Sussex County Lawyers Today

For help with a motor vehicle accident insurance claim, call 973-383-2700 or contact our Newton offices online.